Advertisements for beauty products are all over the Internet, in magazines, our Facebook feed. But how often do we act on these advertisements and really bring the stuff home? Sadly, I know it’s very rare for me. I’m one of these people who find it hard to choose a color much less commit to a foundation regime, despite the disdain I have for my freckles.
The last time I purchased a collection of makeup items was when I needed a new eyeliner pencil, which accompanied by blush and mascara account for the bulk of my face time. However, I’ve decided to take on a new fall look and try out some of these highlighters that are supposed to make you glow and sparkle year-round with little effort. I have to admit this decision also came with the purpose of purchasing yet another eyeliner pencil (my favorite makeup item). Instead of hitting up the L’Oréal wall at my local Target, I decided to go a little fancy this time and visit the professional makeup counters at Macy’s and Sephora. There I found some wonderfully amazing items as well as some more affordable alternatives to help me stretch this new look further. So without further ado, here’s what I bought and thought of my new makeup items.
- SmashBox Long-wear Blush, In Bloom– Now if you loved bare mineral options but
hated trying to manage all that loose powder and trying not to lose it all or get it everywhere. This has a similar concept. Essentially, the compact comes with these tiny holes that work like a grater. You twist the box which smashes down the contents and releases the powder. I like that I can really control the powder and not have things everywhere, plus it’s such a soft pink color that is wearable every day and there’s no more powder all over my makeup bag.
- Sephora Sculpting Trio, light– I love this thing! I have everything I need in one compact and I don’t have to do any of those crazy sculpting videos making myself
look like a clown before turning into a beautiful swan. The highlighting is light and natural. They even have several palettes for various skin tones. I would definitely recommend this if you want to try out a good quality highlight palette, without breaking the bank. I have, to be honest here, I was turned on to this highlighting trio at the Bobbi Brown counter – thanks, Bobbi! However, their version was $42 and I had already selected a couple pieces from them, so adding another was a little outside of the budget. When I visited Sephora, I found a more affordable version for about half the price and purchased it to try it out. – It works, yay!
- Bobbi Brown Long-wear Cream Shadow Stick, blush sparkle – Y’all I love a 5-minute face and this shadow stick is my new favorite. I purchased one from Bobbi, but I’m
definitely on the hunt for this product up in a more affordable version. I purchased a sparkle highlighter, which makes my eyes look contoured and larger. It is definitely one of my newest favorites. I’ll be saving up for a few more colors in warm tones like plum and charcoal as the season gets cooler. Self-care Tip: If you’re in a location that has a Bobbi Brown counter, go on over and let them give you a makeup refresh for free. The makeup artists are always glad to make you feel beautiful.
- Sephora Cream lips stain, Always Red– If you love a matte finish lip, then this is the product for you. All of the Sephora cream lip stains are perfect for long-wear and keeping your fall face on fleek. I first tried the Kat Von-D matte lip wear line as my inspiration for this purchase, but I wanted something similar but with a lower price tag. Sephora had all the same colors for about half the price. I’m not much of a crazy lip color person, so their palette worked perfectly for me and my budget. Definitely worth a try. Go in and ask to try out one of their colors. Tip: These can be a little drying on your lips, so be sure and keep a lip balm handy if you need a little moisture.
- Bobbi Brown long-wear eyeliner, Mahogany – Of course, I couldn’t end this post without sharing details about the eyeliner that sparked this makeup haul. I’m an eyeliner pencil fan and I found that this one stayed in place. Plus, the brown really made my eyes pop without being overly dark. I’m sure I could have gone for more affordable versions of this, but after years of being Wet’n Wild I’ve found that my eyes and skin react better to higher quality products. So it’s a winner and it comes with its own sharpener. Tip: You’ll definitely need a formal eye makeup remover, long-wear means long-lasting for this liner.
Don’t be afraid to try out a new look this season even if that means adding just one new makeup item to your daily routine. It will keep your friends, family, and someone special on their toes. This fall the color palettes include colors like plum, charcoal, and peachy nudes. With trends like berry stained or nude lips, dark black eye lining, glitter-lined lids, swooping cat eyes, and fresh subtle highlighting.
What does your makeup regimen look like? Have you tried any new products you can’t live without?