My background consist of over 20 years in sales and marketing. I started my own company in 2010, and recently I embarked on a speaking career.
I never lost sight of the “Susie Homemaker” within myself. I have always loved cooking. Gourmet is my cooking style with a touch of soul. My mother and grandmother were a split between gourmet and soul food cooks. My Godmother, on the other hand, was gourmet all the way.
Being a homemaker is a lifestyle that fits my personality just fine. Some women are career-driven, and being a full-time homemaker ‘won’t’ be their lifestyle preference of choice. I love the ‘50’s’ era. If there were a time for me to be born in terms of family values, it would be the 1950’s. My mother, grandmother, and godmother prepared breakfast, fully dressed up, and with makeup on. No PJs were allowed in their kitchen.
I am genuinely a homemaker at heart and a true throwback. My kids think it’s quite ridiculous, but I love setting the table just as my mother taught me, regularly, and especially for Sunday dinners. I believe every family should get back to cooking meals and setting the table the way we used to do it. It brings pride, elegance, and togetherness within the family.
One of my favorite recipes is my wild salmon topped with fresh spinach and feta with a splash of fresh lemon and a baked Potato.
- Rinse salmon with cold water
- Lightly season with sea salt, lemon pepper seasoning & garlic powder.
- In a shallow glass dish, put three tablespoons of water and a 1/2 teaspoon of virgin olive oil.
- Place the salmon in the dish.
- Place two thin slices of butter on top.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Bake between 12 to 17 minutes depending on how you like your salmon, i.e., medium, well, or extra well.
When done, cut a fresh lemon into two and gently squeeze the juice lightly over the fish. (If you like, you can pour the drippings from the pan on top of the fish once it is on your plate. I do.)
- Rinse the spinach with cold water,
- Cook the spinach down in a small saucepan with a minimal amount of water.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Let it cool, then add feta cheese mixed in a bowl then place the mixture on top of the salmon
I’m old school when it comes to baking a potato. Make time to bake your potato in the oven; it tastes so much better than when you cook it in the microwave. Before baking, rinse the potato and dry it. Poke it all over with a fork, then oil the potato with olive oil – just a drop or two. season it lightly with butter, seasoning salt, and cracked black pepper then oil it with olive oil.
Preheated oven at 400. Place your large potato in a pan and bake for about 30 minutes before the salmon. When done, slice and open the long way and season lightly with butter seasoning salt and cracked black pepper.
Top your dinner off with a bottle of white wine, Bon Appetit ❤